Have you ever heard about gourmet “tuyo”? Well, if you are a Pinoy like me I’m pretty sure that you have an idea what “tuyo” is all bout. But for those who didn’t know what tuyo is, Tuyo is a dried herring that is a staple product in the Philippines perfect for our Pinoy breakfast. It is also best paired with fried eggs and fried garlic rice (oh! Im craving it right now 😋! LOL!).
Just recently I saw the newly makeover recipe of tuyo! which is they called it “gourmet tuyo”. Haven’t tried yet the one they sell online because ordering it from here will cost me a lot for just a small bottle of tuyo. So I decided to make my own version of gourmet tuyo and since my mom sent me a package of Pilipino food as my birthday present last month (I’m so thankful that they include tuyo in the box 🤣) Now I would be able to make my own cheaper version of tuyo gourmet. Some people use 3 different oil like Corn oil, vegetable oil and olive oil but for this recipe I will only use olive oil. Common lets cook!
Here are the Ingredients you need to make Spicy Gourmet Tuyo in Olive Oil:
- 2 pack of Tuyo (Dried Herring)
- 1 tbsp of Sugar (White or Brown)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 cup of Olive Oil (any brand you like)
- 1 cup of Vinegar (any brand you like)
- 2 garlic (crushed or cut into pieces)
- 1 Carrot (cut it stripe or with design if you like)
- 1-2 Sterilized Bottle
🥘Lets cook our Spicy Gourmet Tuyo in Olive Oil:
- Fry the tuyo in oil until almost all of the moisture has evaporated, I like my tuyo to be a little bit crunchy but its up to you if you like it half cooked. Clean the tuyo by removing the head,descale and remove the spines of the fish.
- In a casserole, heat the olive oil. Fry garlic until golden and add carrots.
- Add paprika and sugar to your desired taste.
- Pour the vinegar and add chili.
- Bring to a boil and add over the Tuyo fillet.
- Turn off the heat and set it aside to cool off.
- When it ready, carefully pack it in a sterilized bottle.
- Serve after a few days to allow flavors to blend. Store the bottle in the refrigerator and consume within one month. Serve with rice.
I really love the taste because it has the right saltiness on it, not too sweet and not too vinegary, just perfect! That’s my very own version of the newly face-lift TUYO! our Filipino comfort food Big thanks to whom ever discover this gourmet tuyo recipe. Yummy!
I hope you will try this recipe too and let me know how it goes. Just a disclaimer guys! this is my own way of cooking gourmet tuyo and you can adjust anything based on your own liking. Hope to hear from you guys!!